BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Robin Williams

I was trying to think of what to talk about last night when Twitter erupted with the news that Robin Williams had died. My first reaction was that it must be a hoax. Robin Williams couldn't be dead. But then the respectable news services delivered the same news.

Robin Williams was 63 years old and as I'm writing this, authorities believe his death to be a suicide. That he'd battled depression.

This is a good place to mention that the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline phone number is: 1-800-273-8255.

Hours after hearing the news, I still can't quite believe it. Robin Williams' movies and comedy were something I grew up with, always there when I felt like paying attention. I never met him, never had any contact with him, but he still felt--well, if not quite like a family member, at least like an acquaintance. Maybe that was one of his gifts.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Williams. You will be missed.